Hindley Green Community Primary School receives prestigious Artsmark Award
Pupils and staff at HGCP are celebrating after receiving a prestigious Artsmark Award in a momentous year for the programme as it celebrates 20 years of arts, culture and creativity in schools.
The Artsmark Award is the only creative quality standard for schools, accredited by Arts Council England. It supports schools to develop and celebrate arts and cultural education, putting creativity and wellbeing at the heart of the curriculum. Artsmark ensures every young person can be creative and access a diverse, high-quality cultural education.
In order to achieve our Artsmark Award, we had to develop our arts and culture provision to embed a broad and ambitious curriculum. This was achieved by creating an overall plan that was committed to and delivered across the whole school.
The Artsmark assessor commended us on how pupils and teachers rose to the challenges during COVID and lockdowns. 'You ensured the arts remained accessible throughout this period by providing a range of resources and activities which were stimulating and collaborative, including online galleries and opportunities to use your digital learning platform to share examples of artwork'.
We’re extremely proud of achieving our Artsmark Gold Award. We are committed to delivering a high-quality arts and cultural education and we look forward to continue to grow with Artsmark.”
We are so proud of our Arts Ambassadors for planning a fabulous Jubilee Arts Week. We performed, danced, designed, created, entertained and celebrated as an Artsmark School.
- Our choir entertained the residents of The Oaks Care Home, Hindley Green and put on a Jubilee Tea Party for them. They sang and served the residents cakes and biscuits produced by our EYFS and KS1 children.
- We welcomed The Pop Project and WigLe Dance in to work with our children, and our Creative Crew children were presented with their Arts Award Discover Certificates.
- We showcased our t-shirts at our catwalk event and children and staff performed together on stage for our Jubilee Concert which included the steel band, choir, soloists and staff acts.
- We also celebrated our wonderful artwork at our HGCP Arts Exhibition, which was a project organised by Miss Burns.
If you want to see more examples of our work, we've been tweeting though-out the week @HGCPSCHOOL.
What is the Artsmark Award?
The Artsmark Award is the only creative quality standard for schools and education settings, accredited by Arts Council England. We support settings to develop and celebrate their commitment to arts and cultural education.
In 2015, the programme was refreshed to align with School Improvement Plans and support core EBACC and STEM priorities, giving the curriculum breadth and balance.
Artsmark is awarded at three levels; Silver, Gold and Platinum
Every young person should have the opportunity to be creative and experience and participate in arts and culture. Our Artsmark journey will enable us to:
- Build young people’s confidence, character and resilience through creativity
- Support the health and wellbeing of pupils through arts and culture
- Strengthen pupil voice and develop young people’s leadership skills
- Use a clear and flexible framework to embed creativity across your whole curriculum and address school improvement priorities
- Access professional support, advice and resources to strengthen your arts provision
- Celebrate our long-term commitment to cultural education with pupils, parents and your local community
- Develop new partnerships with the country’s most treasured cultural
organisations, providing young people with exciting opportunities
Artsmark and Ofsted
- Artsmark meets Ofsted’s requirements for Quality of Education by using the Artsmark framework to maintain a broad and ambitious curriculum that connects learning across all subjects
- Artsmark equips pupils with the cultural capital they need to succeed in life and nurture their imagination and creativity through a high-quality arts and cultural education
- Artsmark clearly demonstrates how you support personal development and provides evidence to Ofsted on how you meet its spiritual, moral, social, cultural requirements